Friday, September 23, 2005

No Wonder

I enjoyed March Of The Penguins, though I'm shocked by its success. It's beautifully shot and tells a compelling story, but no nature documentary has ever grossed anything near what it's made ($71 million and counting).

I suppose it's not surprising that such a success has various groups reading it their way. A celebrated article in The New York Times suggests conservatives have claimed it for their own. I think they're stretching it a bit, but the part that had me scratching my head the most was those who see the film as an argument for intelligent design.

Then it hit me. This is why so many people believe in ID--they don't have a clue as to what Darwin was talking about! If they can look at this film, which is about absolute textbook evolution, and think it argues against present-day science...well, no wonder.

If anything, this movie, where Emperor penguins march 70 miles, lose their young to predators and almost starve to death, is yet more evidence for cruel design.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter