Friday, June 27, 2008

Prelemmys

Here are the the Emmy semis. Due to their (silly) rules, the Emmy people announce the top ten finalists in some categories, followed by the five nominees, and eventually the winner.

Here are the ten being considered for top drama:

Boston Legal (Couldn't this be considered comedy?)
Damages
Dexter
Friday Night Lights
Grey’s Anatomy
House
Lost
Mad Men
The Tudors
The Wire

I admit I'm not that familiar with all the shows, but I think the finalists should be Boston Legal (not a big fan, but I need five nominees--I'd rather it be Battlestar Galactica or even Heroes, and while we're at it, how about Breaking Bad or John From Cincinnati?), House, Lost, Mad Men and The Wire, with the Emmy going to Lost. It's The Wire's last season, so it may get the sentimental nod.

For comedy it's:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Entourage
Family Guy
Flight of the Conchords
The Office
Pushing Daisies
30 Rock
Two and a Half Men
Ugly Betty
Weeds

Considering the sad state of sitcoms, this category is surprisingly competitive. And no Simpsons--even if they didn't ask for it? Or South Park? Or My Name Is Earl? Or Big Bang Theory? I'd nominate Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, Family Guy, 30 Rock and either Flight Of The Conchords or The Office, with the Emmy going to Family Guy.

6 Comments:

Blogger QueensGuy said...

My favorite drama of the year wasn't nominated: Breaking Bad. I suppose in part because it's on AMC, and two shows from that semi-obscure network was too much to ask. (Quick, off the top of your head, what channel is AMC on your cable/satellite provider??) Then again, I've only seen four shows from the list -- Lost, Mad Men, House, and Dexter.

Funny that from the comedies list, I regularly watch all of the first five, and have never seen an episode of the last five. If they forced me to pick ten, the list would probably look identical, with the last five chosen simply by name recognition.

4:06 AM, June 27, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you watch The Office but not 30 Rock? They're on the same channel, the same night, right next to each other.

8:37 AM, June 27, 2008  
Blogger New England Guy said...

What- no According to Jim?

Maybe there is a God.

Family Guy has its moments but seems derivative.

Big Band Theory sounds like a great show- what was Guy Lombardo really trying to say?

10:19 AM, June 27, 2008  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

Alec Baldwin annoys me, so I never gave it a chance.

I've had discussions with friends about whether Family Guy is really sharply witty and inventive, or just plays to the pop culture nostalgia of those in our 30s. I think the answer to both is yes.

10:35 AM, June 27, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Big Band Theory? I've been getting sloppy lately. (I'm going to fix it, but we'll always have these comments to remind us.)

The take on FG from the start is it's a rip-off of The Simpsons. Even The Simpsons said so. And South Park ripped on them as well. But all I know is the show is outrageous and funny, and if I'm laughing at it more than the other shows, that's enough for my vote. (Too bad I'm not in the Academy of Television Arts And Sciences.)

I'm more interested in seeing Lost get nominated. It won Best Drama its first year, and has been snubbed ever since.

10:38 AM, June 27, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Some actors rub us the wrong way, and there's not much we can do. But for most 30 Rock fans, Alec Baldwin is the main reason to watch the show.

10:40 AM, June 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter